Red Cross: Death toll rises to 50 in Yemen bus attack

Red Cross: Death toll rises to 50 in Yemen bus attack

The International Red Cross says the airstrike hit a bus full of children, parked in a busy market in Dahyan, in Sa'ada province - controlled by the Houthis.

The head of the humanitarian organisation's delegation in the country, Johannes Bruwer, later tweeted that "scores" had been killed and "even more injured, most under the age of 10".

State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert said the USA was "concerned" by reports of an attack resulting in civilian deaths.

He criticized Riyadh for denying Iranian delegates entry visas for OIC summits, saying such statements "are compiled and released unilaterally and unjustly under pressure from Saudi Arabia".

At least 43 people were killed and 63 injured in the strike, according to the Houthi-held health ministry.

Houthi-run Al-Masirah TV reported that 47 people were killed and 77 wounded, and broadcast graphic pictures showing the bodies of several young children, some of them wearing school uniform.

"The Secretary-General calls on all parties to respect their obligations under worldwide humanitarian law, in particular the fundamental rules of distinction, proportionality and precautions in attack", his spokesperson, Farhan Haq, said Thursday.

On Wednesday night, Col. Al-Maliki stated that at (20:34) the Coalition Air Defense detected a ballistic missile launch from Northern Amran in Yemen, aimed at Saudi Arabia.

The attack has been blamed on the Saudi-led coalition waging war against Yemen's Houthi rebels.

Amnesty International calls for united front against Saudi Arabia
The Saudi Kingdom was less than thrilled about Canada's "interference", saying it had no business to meddle in its local affairs. But so far, America's northern neighbor is sticking to its guns-no matter how many plane memes Saudi Arabia sends their way.

Manchester United, Tottenham and Chelsea All Ready For Big Signings
After a disappointing World Cup and Jorge Sampaoli's departure, AFA chief Claudio Tapia confirmed Guardiola was approached. But the decision has been made and we'll analyse it in September when it's all over.

Former Malaysian PM Najib Razak to be charged with money laundering
The large, blue and white boat arrived in Port Klang, west of the capital, after setting sail from the Indonesian island of Batam. The charges are related to the RM42mil that allegedly went from SRC International into Najib's personal bank accounts.

Yemeni tribal leaders told the AP the Saudi-led US -backed coalition fighting Shiite Houthi rebels was behind the airstrike.

The Houthis have fired dozens of missiles into the kingdom in recent months, part of a three-year-old conflict widely seen as a proxy battle between regional rivals Saudi Arabia and Iran.

The United Nations envoy to Yemen, Martin Griffiths, told the Security Council last week that "a political solution" to end the war in Yemen was "available" and that the warring sides would be invited to talks on September 6 in Geneva.

"(The air strikes) conformed to worldwide and humanitarian laws", the coalition statement said, quoting spokesman Colonel Turki al-Malki.

The Houthis seized the capital, Sanaa, in 2014 and overthrew the internationally recognised government led by President Abdrabu Mansur Hadi during a transition of power from former president Ali Abdullah Saleh.

Wednesday's attack brings the tally to 165 rebel missiles launched since 2015, according to the coalition, which that year intervened in the Yemeni government's fight against Houthi rebels.

"It's hard to believe we live in a world where children should live in fear of such attacks, yet here we are", she added.

Yemen's war has left almost 10,000 people dead since 2015 and unleashed what the United Nations describes as the world's worst humanitarian crisis.

There was a horrifying attack Thursday in Yemen - a Middle Eastern country torn apart by a 3-year-old civil war.

Related Articles