Sarasota man dies from flesh-eating bacteria after eating raw oysters

Sarasota man dies from flesh-eating bacteria after eating raw oysters

A 71-year-old man died on July 10 just two days after eating contaminated oysters at a restaurant in Sarasota, Florida, according to WWSB.

Though sometimes labeled a "flesh-eating" bacteria, Vibrio vulnificus can not attack healthy skin, the Sun-Sentinel reported.

"The bacterium can invade the bloodstream, causing a severe and life-threatening illness", the Florida Department of Health said". People with weakened immune systems are more at risk.

The Florida Department of Health has revealed that an elderly man died from bacterial infection after eating tainted oyster at a restaurant. This makes it hard to rely on your senses to determine if an oyster is safe to eat.

A 71-year-old man died of infection of the vibrio vulnificus bacteria after eating oysters at a restaurant in Florida.

Tornado outbreak in Iowa causes catastrophic damage
Several tornadoes tore through Iowa on Thursday, including one that sent seven people to the hospital, officials said. It's not often the National Weather Service is caught off guard by tornadoes, Krull said, but it does happen.

Whoopi & Jeanine Pirro Argue Over Trump on 'The View'
Whoopi didn't like that last line although Pirro is in fact a former D.A. who's doubtless prosecuted plenty of abusers. When people who shouldn't be here end up murdering children of American citizens'.

At least 17 die when duck boat capsizes in Missouri lake
According to its website, Ride the Ducks Branson has closed while investigations are conducted into Thursday's accident. Viewers on Facebook who have ridden this Duck boat are writing to help us better understand how they look and operate.

Health officials are now investigating the matter and are working with the Sarasota restaurant to determine the exact batch of oysters where the tainted food came from so that sale of that specific batch can be stopped, reports ABC Action News.

Consuming raw oysters that have undergone a post-harvest treatment process to eliminate the bacteria can also reduce the risk of illness. Vibrio Vulnificus can't be seen, smelled, or even taste it. "That's usually not the case when someone consumes the bacteria", Drennon said.

Infections are more likely between May and October when the water is warmer. "Septicemia can be characterized by fever and chills, occasionally accompanied by vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, and pain in the extremities".

Those affected should confer with a doctor if any of these symptoms occur soon after eating raw shellfish or entering the water with open wounds. There have been 16 confirmed cases in Florida so far this year, with three fatalities. About 1 in 4 of these cases lead to death, sometimes within a day or two of being infected, according to the CDC.

Related Articles